The Harvard School of Public Health recently published a list of tips to help individuals struggling to eat enough fruits and vegetables every day. Perfect Supplements heartily agrees with their ideas and would like pass them on to you with some suggestions of our own.
1. Keep fruits and vegetables out on the counter or on the top shelf of your fridge. If it is out in plain sight, you are more likely to grab and go. Apples, bananas, grapes, carrot and celery sticks are excellent choices to have on hand.
2. Try to incorporate some fruit and vegetable into every meal. Fruit in your cereal or a veggie omelet for breakfast, fruit in your salad or added vegetables in your soup for lunch and a vegetable stir fry or fruit parfait at your evening meal. An orange or apple at snack time is highly recommended over chips and other salty snacks loaded with empty calories. Always choose fresh or frozen over canned or dried because of the added sugar.
3. Explore the produce aisles at your local grocery store or farmer’s market and try one new fruit or vegetable every week. There are so many tasty and interesting choices and you may be pleasantly surprised to discover that you like mango and brussel sprouts.
4. Eat a variety of different fruits and vegetables: dark leafy greens such as spinach or kale, orange vegetables such as carrots or squash, cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli or cabbage, legumes such as black beans, citrus fruits such as oranges or grapefruit, berries, grapes, etc. The Harvard report said to “bag the potatoes” and choose vegetables with more nutrients. Potatoes are very high in carbohydrates.
5. Try some healthy new recipes that use more vegetables and fruits. There are some wonderful vegetable casseroles, delicious fruit and vegetable soups, and dozens of different fruit salad combinations. For a delightful change we like to add mandarin oranges, pineapple chunks, sliced kiwi or strawberries to our salad greens. We top it with a sweet salad dressing and a handful of sunflower seeds or slivered pecans, walnuts or almonds. Delicious!
If you are like most Americans, you probably are not getting the recommended amounts. That’s why Perfect Supplements creates all natural, organic and freeze-dried superfood supplements such as Perfect Aquatic Greens and Perfect Acai Berry. The easy way to add the benefits of more fruit and veggies to you diet.
Our busy hustle and bustle lives can benefit from eating more nutritious food like fresh fruits and vegetables that are known to be a natural source of energy and essential in preventing certain diseases. Why not have some beautiful green spinach, juicy red tomato, luscious purple plum, or yummy red apple with your next meal?