The beginning of July is one of my favorite times of the year in New England. The combination of warm (but not too hot) weather, newfound summer freedom, and the eagerness to enjoy every minute of daylight … it never lasts long enough in my book.
With fourth of July celebrations around the corner, I came across this recipe for a healthy 4th of July Gelatin treat from MamaNatural.com. I decided to try it out using our Perfect Brand Bovine Gelatin and added some Perfect Acai powder for an extra boost of superfood nutrition!
As it is prime strawberry picking season the kids and I visited our local farm and enjoyed an evening of berry gathering and experimenting with gummy making.
Here are a few helpful tips based on my experience:
- Wear clothing that you will not miss if it is stained by berry juices
- Purchase more than one or a larger mold with more stars to speed up the process
- Discard unused gelatin liquid in the trash, not the sink as it might temporarily clog your drains.
- Make sure your kids eat first, or they will devour all of the finished product before you can take a nice picture!
- In this recipe Heather from Mommypotamus recommends using non-toxic, vegetable-based food coloring and citrus zest for brighter, more flavorful results. I may try those suggestions next time.
- Patience and practice is the key for the perfect texture and taste. For tips and tricks for working with Grass-Fed Gelatin check out this article HERE.
Here is a printable recipe so you can make this healthy treat any time of the year, and maybe some fun memories too!
- Organic blueberries (farm fresh is best!)
- Organic strawberries (ditto!)
- Coconut milk
- Filtered water and/or organic fruit juice
- Maple syrup
- Grass Fed Bovine Gelatin
- Perfect Acai Powder
- For blue stars use blueberries and/or blue colored 100% organic juice
- For red stars use strawberries and/or red colored 100% organic juice
- For white stars use coconut milk or almond milk
- Add 1 pt berrries and 4 ounces of water or organic juice into a blender.
- Add 2 TB maple syrup (less if using juice and do not want it to taste too sweet.) Blend well.
- For stars with no fruit texture pour mixture through strainer or cheesecloth then put the liquid into a stove top pot, otherwise pour entire mixture into a pot.
- Add 2 scoops Gelatin ( and 1 scoop Acai Powder to the blue star mixture) per every 8 oz of liquid.
- Simmer and stir over low heat until gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Let cool slightly and pour into star mold.
- Put in refrigerator until gelled (about 1 hr)
- Eat individually, add to a fruit skewer, or use as a decorative topping- delicious and healthy any way you serve them!