2014 is going to be the year you take control of your health and feed your body what it needs to be healthy, radiant and bounding with energy. It all comes down to the simple choices you make throughout the day. With healthy decisions, feeling great and losing weight happen naturally.
In our Simple Steps to Perfect Health & Wellness Series, we will be presenting healthy lifestyle suggestions based on 20 years of personal research, to help you make informed choices that will have you feeling and looking terrific. The series will cover a variety of topics including diet, exercise, stress reduction, mental health, relationships, and more. We wish you a Perfectly Healthy New Year!
The #1 Habit to Improve the Quality of Your Food
Here we are, starting the third week of our New Year’s resolutions to lose weight and feel great. How is it going so far?
In our Simple Steps to Health and Wellness Series, we have covered the 8 Most Nourishing Foods, and 10 Worst Industrial Foods. We’ve also talked about NOT trying to do everything perfectly, and, making a few small changes to drastically improve the quality of our food. What’s next? Now we need a plan.
Planning for Success
The #1 habit to improve the quality of your food is… planning, planning, planning. Healthy meals and snacks do not just magically appear, they require a little bit of foresight and effort.
1. Think About Your Next Meal While You Prepare the Current One, Or At Least a Few Hours Ahead of Time – I usually know what my family is eating for breakfast and lunch before I go to bed. On my best days, I even know what’s for dinner the next day. It wasn’t always like this. I know the misery of starting to think about dinner at 4:30pm when everyone is hungry and cranky (including me!).
2. Have Nourishing Food Options Available ALL THE TIME – see below for details.
3. Bring Healthy Snacks (and Lunch) With You When You Leave the House – I leave nuts in my car all time. This is a wholesome, satisfying snack. I do not want to be stranded in my car, hungry, and at the mercy of fast food or convenience stores – yikes! And if I want to be sure that I have a nourishing lunch, I better bring it with me.
Time to Transform Your Kitchen
4. Throw Out the Worst of the Non-Fuel in Your Cupboards, Fridge and Freezer – The good news here is, because non-fuel (zero nutrition food) is manufactured with cheap, low-quality ingredients, it probably didn’t cost too much. Regardless of the price, you deserve nourishing food. Refer to the Worst Industrial Food List for recommendations on what to toss.
5. Fill Your Cupboards, Frig and Freezer with Whole Foods – You know what to do… refer to the List of Nourishing Foods, and let’s go shopping! I am sure you can find some whole foods that you enjoy. Easy fresh veggies – celery, carrots, cucumber, peppers; Healthy Oils – olive oil and Perfect Coconut Oil; Nuts & Seeds – grab a variety of your favorites, and don’t forget nut butters; Have fun in the fresh fruit section, and grab some dried fruit and frozen fruit, too; Natural Sweeteners – honey, maple syrup and evaporated cane juice; Whole Grains – my favorites are brown rice, oatmeal, cornmeal, and spelt (ancient wheat); You will want to find a good local source for eggs, dairy, and meat – check in with your local chapter of the Weston A Price Foundation for resources.
6. Read Your Ingredients Lists – Just because something says “Healthy” on the package, doesn’t make it true. You must learn to be a discerning shopper. If you want the convenience of pre-packaged products, make sure they don’t contain any of the worst ingredient offenders. Unfortunately, you may need to find a new place to shop to avoid industrial food. Try the health food section of your grocery store, your local health food store or co-op, or national brands such as Whole Foods (great quality), or Trader Joes (lower prices). Yes, clean food costs a little more, because it is made with higher quality ingredients. Your body will thank you.
As you take steps to improve the quality of your food, please don’t forget what we talked about in the last article… progress not perfection. We will continue to walk in the direction of health. If we get lost along the way, no problem. We will find our way back to the healthy path. This is a lifelong journey.
Once your cupboards are filled with healthy options, it is so much easier to make wise choices. In future articles I will share some quick and easy whole food recipes.
What is your best healthy eating habit?
Continue Reading Our Perfect Health & Wellness Series:
- Top Ten Simple Steps to Perfect Health & Wellness
- Eight Most Nourishing Foods – Premium Fuel for Your Amazing Life
- Ten Worst Industrial Food Ingredients
- Top Tips For Healthy Eating, Check Your Perfection At The Door
- 4 Simple Steps to Avoid GMOs
- 10 Toxic Chemicals in Your Environment That Can Make You Sick
- Do NOT Exercise for Weight Loss
- What’s Your Style? A Review of 8 Exercise Routines
- Shattering Exercise Myths With Fitness Expert Shawn Stevenson
- Are Cold Breakfast Cereals Poisonous? 5 Simple Whole Food Breakfast Recipes
- Drop the Junk Food: 10 Quick & Satisfying Whole Food Snack Ideas
- Yes, You Can Cook From Scratch! 8 Simple, Family Favorite Dinners
- Are You Stressed Out? 11 Simple Steps to Joy