2014 is going to be the year you take control of your health and feed your body what it needs to be healthy, radiant and bounding with energy. It all comes down to the simple choices you make throughout the day. With healthy decisions, feeling great and losing weight happen naturally.
In our Simple Steps to Perfect Health & Wellness Series, we will be presenting healthy lifestyle suggestions based on 20 years of personal research, to help you make informed choices that will have you feeling and looking terrific. The series will cover a variety of topics including diet, exercise, stress reduction, mental health, relationships, and more. We wish you a Perfectly Healthy New Year!
4 Simple Steps to Avoid GMOs
To kick off the Avoiding Toxins section of our Simple Steps to Perfect Health and Wellness Series, let’s take a closer look at GMOs.
What the Heck Are GMOs – Goofy & Mickey On Steroids?
According to the Non-GMO Shopping Guide, GMOs, or “Genetically Modified Organisms,” are made by forcing genes from one species, such as bacteria, viruses, or animals, into the DNA of a food crop or animal in order to introduce a new trait. In plain English, what this means is, scientists essentially blast the DNA of one plant, i.e. corn, with the DNA of another organism, for example, an insecticide. This is highly unusual and questionable food science. In the case of the insecticide-corn GMO, bugs eat this newly created GMO-corn and die from their stomachs exploding. I don’t know about you, but I do not want to eat corn whose DNA has been altered with insecticide. The documentary Genetic Roulette discusses the insecticide-corn, and many other interesting GMO facts. Learn more about renting or buying Genetic Roulette.
Genetically modified foods cause harm to people, animals, and the environment. I think the above example of corn that makes bugs’ stomachs explode is reason enough to avoid GMOs, but other research has been done as well. You can check out this study in which rats were fed GMOs and developed tumors. Or how about the study in which pigs were fed a GMO diet and they developed deadly inflammation in their stomachs? Although GMO products look like their non-GMO counterparts, animals, such as pigs and chickens, can tell the difference, and when given a choice, will avoid GM feed. Forty-nine countries require labeling of GM ingredients. Visit the non-GMO Shopping Guide for details about 65 health risks associated with GMOs.
Four Simple Steps to Avoid GMOs
1. The easiest way to reduce your consumption of GMOs is to avoid the relatively short list of eight food crops that have been genetically modified. Here is the list:
Corn, Soybeans, Sugar (from GMO beets), Papaya (Hawaii or China), Canola, Cottonseed, Zucchini (small amounts), Yellow Squash (small amounts)
Most processed foods contain one or more of these ingredients, particularly as oils, such as soybean, canola, and cottonseed oil. If a processed food lists sugar (not cane sugar), most likely it contains sugar from GM sugar beets.
Industrial meat and dairy livestock are usually fed GM grains, including GM alfalfa. Many dairy cows are injected with GM artificial bovine growth hormone (rbGH and rbST); check your labels for farms that do not use artificial growth hormones.
While not a food crop, Aspartame (Nutrasweet, Equal) is also derived from GMOs. You can read more about the health risks associated with Aspartame on our blog. If you choose to eat any of the foods found on the list…
2. Buy USDA Certified Organic products (GMOs are not allowed certification)
3. Buy Non-GMO Project Verified products
4. Download the free non-GMO Pocket Shopping Guide, or the free ShopNoGMO iPhone App
How do you and your family avoid GMOs? Leave us a comment to let us know! If you’d like to read more about GMOs and how to avoid them, check out some of our related articles in the ‘GMO Awareness’ section of Perfect Supplements’ Health Blog.
Continue Reading Our Perfect Health & Wellness Series:
- Top Ten Simple Steps to Perfect Health & Wellness
- Eight Most Nourishing Foods – Premium Fuel for Your Amazing Life
- Ten Worst Industrial Food Ingredients
- Top Tips For Healthy Eating, Check Your Perfection At The Door
- The #1 Habit to Improve the Quality of Your Food
- 10 Toxic Chemicals in Your Environment That Can Make You Sick
- Do NOT Exercise for Weight Loss
- What’s Your Style? A Review of 8 Exercise Routines
- Shattering Exercise Myths With Fitness Expert Shawn Stevenson
- Drop the Junk Food: 10 Quick & Satisfying Whole Food Snack Ideas
- Yes, You Can Cook From Scratch! 8 Simple, Family Favorite Dinners
- Are You Stressed Out? 11 Simple Steps to Joy